Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rooms Full of Savvy, Flamboyant Women

Last Thursday, I spoke to the American Business Women's Association at the High Point Country Club. Is there an Author in You? Many women in business have mulled over writing a book. Or writing articles, columns, giving written advice in their field of expertise. But being busy mothers, most of them, with full schedules ... writing always gets put on their back burners. But a few of these women were retired and one in particular, though still quite young, was a breast cancer survivor. She had something to say and wanted encouragement as to how to start. A fun evening, the group gathered around my table afterwards with questions and ... of course, I sold books!

Yesterday, I spoke to a large group of Red Hatters at Roseglen Village in Wilkesboro, NC. They gathered from five counties to benefit the Alzheimer Association. A group of really cool women dawned red and purple, and turned into their alter egos. It's amazing what a red hat will do to a woman. Those under 50 wore pink and lavender. But the room was packed! Talk about a blast. Although, I do believe my husband had as much fun as anybody, taking pictures of this sea of red and purple ladies. And the line formed once again at my signing table afterward.

I continue to sell Southern Fried Women. It's a great little book of short stories and women are drawn to it. I'm happy to say, Michael and I are into our third printing. I think the fun for me, besides meeting so many great people in our travels, is knowing they take a piece of me home with them. It's astounding when you think about it. Artists have the capability of touching lives into future generations.

Although, I remind each one of my audiences that you don't have to be an artist or a writer to record your family history. Who knows but someday, your great-great-great grandchild, or neice, nephew, or even your godchild may find it and write your story. All because you took the time to scribble it down on paper. It may not be all that interesting to you, but it may be the beginning of greatness for them. It's part of leaving your legacy behind.

Can you imagine what a young girl might think to go into her grandmother's room and find a big red hat with purple feathers? That either her grandmother ran a secret brothel, or she was a proud and flamboyant woman with a spicey personality and a whole lot of character. She might even want to write about it.

Blessings to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pam! And GREAT photos by Michael!