Saturday, August 11, 2007

Visions of Sugar Plums

I can't sleep.

If you've followed my blog, you know that I bid on a critique from a literary agent at a silent auction back in June and won it. To me, it was one more opportunity to pitch my work and obtain valuable feedback. A month ago, I had sent her for critique, my query letter, and the first 50 pages of Televenge. I anticipated, "... sounds good ... here's what you need to do to make it better ... interesting work ... thanks for sending it in." But that's not what I got.

The agent called me. Last night. Late. On a Friday. Excited. I wish you could've heard her voice. Professional and knowledgeable in the industry, she couldn't hide her tone of excitement. She had a few great suggestions for the query letter, then proceeded to tell me, "you nailed it!" She said that several times. "I wish I had more to critique for you, but you really nailed it. I liked it. I really did." We talked for an hour and as much as I can remember, these were some of her comments ...

"Easy read ..."
"Clean copy, one of the cleanest I've seen ..."
"Great story, and this hasn't been done! Fresh."
"Drew me in, I'm anxious to keep reading ..."
"Can you send me the manuscript?"

We were on the phone for an hour. We talked about many things, both of us asking lots of questions. Who knows where this will lead? All I know is that this agent was connected and she loved my query and first 50 pages and she wants to read the rest. All from just a critique.

I think I slept three hours last night, and those were questionable. I awoke this morning with one thought running through my head. This is the beginning ... just the beginning. I'm holding my breath. After a few more tweaks, this will all be in God's hands. In the meantime, today, I'm smiling. Because to one literary agent out there, God bless her ... "I nailed it!"

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: