Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The Silver Lining Of Winter

From my warm house, looking out over the pastures to the east, I'm loving the snow. Working in warm jammies all day, never having to step foot in it, the bleak and frosted landscape gives off an almost surreal glow. I do, however, feel sorry for my husband who has to drive in the mess. People in their four-wheel drive vehicles ride on his back bumper, as if that's going to make him go any faster. Not going to happen. Lake effect snow is new to him. The bands of snow and ice, the contact attack of Lake Erie weather, it can be maddening. When the great lake is still warm, the snow seems worse. Somehow, the folks up here in the snow belt get through it.

Getting through the winters in our lives, I find the trick is discovering the beauty in winter. Not everyone would agree, I'm sure. Many become snow birds and head south until spring, and I may do that myself someday. But right now, I'm enjoying this cold, brown earth. The coziness of huddling up with a bowl of popcorn and a good movie. Or a fire and the latest bestselling novel.

And after talking to my publisher today, I have a plethora of stuff due before February 1st. So, I'm glad I'm not distracted by wanting to spend time outdoors. This is the winter preparation, so it will go fast.

The winter of our lives. Find the silver lining.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: