Saturday, January 03, 2009

A New Year

The sun is shining, it's a new year. In working with patients day in and day out, I find myself counting my blessings. And the blessings of those I love and care about.

We whine and pine. Mope until all our wants in life become giants. Searching for things to be thankful for has been a lifelong obsession of mine. After writing blogs, then re-reading them the next day, I sometimes feel as though my writing is bi-polar. Me, on the other hand, I keep my outward emotions (for the most part) in check. Stable. No extreme highs or lows. There is, yes, a bit of a drama queen who rears her ugly head once in a while, but I'm realizing as I grow older -- I like simplicity. Quiet. Less bumps in my road.

Yet, we can't always steer the rudder of our existence.

This morning I heard John Travolta's son, Jett, has passed away. A 16-year old, who suffered from seizures. Although I don't agree with the Church of Scientology, I'm not looking at that right now. I'm looking at parents who have lost a dear boy. A son they loved. All the money in the world cannot bring him back, or restore to the Travoltas what they had only days ago.

I've followed John Travolta's career, sort of. I mean, I was there the first time Vinnie Barbarino came into our living rooms. Saturday Night Fever liberated me. (It's a long story for another blog.) I watched Travolta grow older, along with me. We're the same age, approximately. I've never met him, but I've always liked his smile. All I really know about him exists in the characters he plays.

But my heart goes out to the Travoltas today, regardless.

We don't know what 2009 holds for us. We can make resolutions, determinations, and attempts at change. In the end, it's the character inside us that tells the tale of who we really are. How life's disappointments affect us, writes our true story.

Be thankful each day. Laugh when it hurts. Keep an open mind. And remember to pray for those less fortunate. We can't have everything we want. But we can be thankful for everything we have. Like a new year.

It's 2009. Use it wisely.

Blessings to you and yours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam. Thought I'd send this quote to you. Wish I knew who wrote it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the number of moments that take our breath away". Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post.

Someone who lost her eighteen year-old daughter to cancer a few weeks ago sums it up best...

"God is good everyday, and everyday God is good."

Amen.