Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What If It Didn't Matter So Much?

A person very close to me was asked this question recently. What if what people thought of you didn't matter so much?

The question, right off the bat, brought out a great answer ... "I suppose I would do a lot of things different."

Think about this. Isn't it amazing, mind-numbing in fact, that so much of what we do is all because we want to please somebody, make others happy, want others to think well of us. Oh yeah, I hear it said so often ... I don't give a damn what others think of me ... but their actions tell a different story.

I think most of what we do in life, is because we want our families, our friends, our co-workers to like us, not disappoint those we care about. What if it reeeaaallly didn't matter so much what anyone thought of you? How would you change? How much of a people-pleaser are you?

I think we all are. Some of us more than others. Is it so wrong? How much does it hinder our own happiness?

I don't have any answers. It's an interesting question, though. One I thought you might like to ponder on.

What if it didn't matter so much?

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: