Monday, January 21, 2013

What's The Highlight Of The Week, Pray Tell?


Sometimes I don't know if I'm comin' or goin' ... the days fly by and every once in a while I get a glimpse of where I want to be ... Today, Charlene Wilson honored me by her interview. It's the featured Highlight of the Week. http://highlightedauthor.com/2013/01/welcome-pamela-king-cable/  Charlene's book blog is a thing of beauty (in this writer's opinion) and it made me take a look back at just how far I've traveled on this journey. Where I've come from ... where I'm going ...


I've traveled thousands of miles ... navigated many cities and hundreds of small towns ...


from coast to coast ...


I've stood on every type of landscape, spoken to well over 200 groups in every type of venue, been on TV and radio, and have had my picture taken with some well-known authors, agents, and editors.

 
But one thing never ceases to astound me. One thing stands out in my mind as the crux of real achievement. Something no writer can do without. It is the one thing critical to a writer's success. I've discovered it takes more than the natural talent of a great storyteller. It takes more than knowing your craft like you know your name. It's not about how many writing conferences you rack up in a year, or the prestigious contacts you've made. It has nothing to do with social media, or landing an agent, or a book contract. Degrees, awards, accolades, and TV interviews ... none of it means a thing, without this one thing. One vital attribute. Humility.
  
I've always said a writer can live without a lot of things. Courage isn't one of them. Humility, my friend, is the other.
 
There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your work. But you've got to look back. See how far you've come, in order to know where you're going. Without a humble spirit, you can't help others. You can't pay it forward, and you've got to pay it forward. Kindness, a gentle spirit, and the ability to be truly thankful each and every time someone puts you and your work on their blog, web site, and facebook page. Every time somebody mentions you, or says something kind or good about your work it's not always possible to thank them all, but in your heart you better offer up a word of thanks. You must. He knows the intent of our hearts, He knows. And I have to believe it's the secret to success.
 
Without humility you won't stay on top long. You won't even see the top that few have seen.  You'll ride a wave, but it'll take you out to sea and drop you into a cold ocean, instead of setting your feet firmly on a golden shore.
 
So for me, this week ... the Highlight of the Week http://highlightedauthor.com/2013/01/welcome-pamela-king-cable/ is an honor, but it's also a humbling experience. Any success I experience is due to the hundreds of folks who have cheered me on and the thousands of readers who have taken a chance and bought the book. For that, I'm eternally grateful. And forever ... humbled.
 
Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: