Monday, October 30, 2006

How Bad Do You Want It?

I want to talk about a message I received yesterday... actually, it was part of this blog from a wonderful person named, Dale. The message to me was ...

Writing is the easy part. I think each part gets harder and more frustrating. Writing is like singing--everyone wants to, many try, but few are good, and rarely is one successful. Book promoting is, without a doubt, the hardest part and can get expensive before it pays off. I've read 98% of P.O.D. (print on demand) authors never make any money. The two biggest limitations for me are time and money. - Dale

This writer is correct on many counts ... The analogy between writers and singers is a good one. Writing is a craft, just like singing. Good singers spend most of their lives perfecting their voice and their technique, same with a good writer. It takes years of due diligence. A professional singer must practice ... a writer must essentially write every day.

I spoke on a panel yesterday ... the WGOT Annual Meeting presented a panel to members and the public on marketing and publicity ... "What Do You Do After You Write The Book?" The task is daunting, and I don't mince words about it. It is--daunting. It's overwhelming at times. But you MUST get used to the idea of promoting your work as part of being a writer. There's no way around it, unless of course, you just want to publish for the hell of it and you don't care if the book sells. But most writers ... want to sell their work. And like any other product made in America ... you've got to get involved in the marketing aspect.

It can be expensive ... gas, paper, printers, advertising, a publicist ... let alone the time involved ... it's tough. NO doubt about it. Create a budget ... and before you even finish your book, sit down with your spouse or significant other and talk about this. Create a marketing plan. You may be lucky enough to have a publisher that will chip in some bucks toward your publicity ... but as Dale is referring to P.O.D., or the self-published author ... there are web sites dedicated to helping these authors. Dan Poynter's web site is fantastic. Another is the Publicity Hound. And Book Promotion 101. Get on the Internet ... research it! Find something nobody else has found!

And yet, if you have decided that writing is your passion, it's what you want to do with the rest of your life ... then let's face it ... promotion is part of your impending success. You're going to have to deal with it eventually. Not every writer has the same resources. (Not everybody has a husband like mine. :-) Don't put it off ... network, get ideas from other writers, find inexpensive ways to promote yourself. Learn how to write a News Release, get free publicity when you can.

But I want to say that you can't believe everything you read when it comes to percentages and statistics ... Who writes that stuff? Self-publishing and P.O.D. is popular these days because writers don't want to be told they can't get their work published. They'll do whatever it takes. They're willing to take that RISK! And they ARE making money, I assure you!

Time and money can be huge limitations. And you can negatively allow them to affect your writing. Just don't let them stop you entirely.

How bad do you want it?

I went to a Biz Life luncheon at $30 a plate today, just to hear the world-famous Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole, President of Bennett College. She was the guest speaker for this Movers & Shakers luncheon. I paid the $30 because I heard her speak this past January and was deeply moved. I want to speak with the passion she delivers. I want to learn from her ... I wanted to be moved again and was willing to pay for it.

She was everything I anticipated, once again. Dr. Cole's message is one of SERVICE. Her concluding statement made me cry. Speaking to a crowd of 500+ people, all successful business people, she said, "Since you've made it to the top, you BETTER turn around and LIFT somebody up!"

I'm not sure where I am in the scheme of things when it comes to success, that's for sure. I know I don't have all the answers. But I do know this ... I'll never give up. And if I can take a few along with me ... so much the better.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: