Thursday, April 20, 2006

Starbucks and Minton Sparks

The Writers' Group of the Triad hosted Poetry, Jazz and Java, along with the GSO Library last evening. An open mic at Starbucks and a room full of poetry lovers. In honor of National Poetry Month, I had to go to at least one PJ&J ... as I do love to hear author's read their work ... poetry or otherwise. But this time ... I decided to honor my favorite poet, Minton Sparks.

Good ole' Minton ... when I read her poetry, I see her carrying an old suitcase full of clothes down a railroad track in her best house dress. I can smell the sawdust and imagine the look on her face as she sneaks in the back of a revival tent to rest. I can hear the cicada and feel the heat of the day picturing her as she drinks sweet tea on the front porch with all of her "criminal cousins." I love that gal. Nobody "sings" poetry better than Minton Sparks.

I read four or five poems by Minton ... my favorite being John 3:16, Guest Preacher at Prayer Meeting. The room was packed, lots of younger students, one of which asked me if 1) I would be reading at my book launch and 2) could she could bring her class. "Of course!" I said.

The poetry inspiring, some of these people read their work and I had to wonder, why weren't they already famous? I don't write poetry, but I love to listen to it and recognize good poetry when I hear it. Good job, Greensboro poets!

But this was a great opportunity for me to read again in front of a group, practice delivery of lines, and invite another flock to my launch. Gregory Alan, Professional Jazz Guitarist, played and sang. I've seen Gregory perform at various book launches, at many of the events for National Poetry Month ... and I realized last night (or Michael did) that we had to have him play at our launch! Talented, extremely talented man.

Leaving this afternoon ... to pick up my books in Baltimore, then on to New York City and the Big Apple Conference where I'll be speaking on Sunday. Butterflies in my tummy - galore.

Stay tuned.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: